In September of 1944, the St. James Church of God in Christ (COGIC) was organized by the late Bishop Jesse Campbell. Bishop Campbell worked diligently to provide spiritual strength and knowledge to the membership of St. James COGIC. The beginning of an enormous vocation was set in motion. With nearly 75 members, St. James COGIC was housed at 4147 West Roosevelt Road in Chicago, IL. Bishop Jesse Campbell served faithfully until God called him from labor to reward. The mantle of the anointing felled upon his son, Elder Willie James Campbell.
After tragedy struck, the ministry was moved from it’s location on Roosevelt Road to the State Temple at 10920 S. Princeton Ave. With a steadily increasing membership of over 1000, St. James undertook the task of launching a ministry to reach the total man. Working under the great commission to take the ministry to the world, St. James launched a ministry to reach the total man by implementing programs such as substance abuse counseling, Saturday School, Food and Clothes drives, faith-based initiatives with Chicago Public Schools, community re-vitalization programs and much, much more.
On September 5, 1999 the culmination of much faith and answered prayers was realized as the membership of St. James marched into its new home at 4445 S. King Drive in Chicago’s famed Bronzeville community.
Showing faithful over few things God blessed St. James once again on August 18, 2002 as Pastor Campbell, his wife Lady Lori Campbell, the membership of St. James friends and family in a 13 block motorcade arrived at our current location 11750 S. Lowe Ave., affectionately called the “Judah Complex” this masterful miracle sits on over an acre of land and consists of two parking facilities and multiple buildings : a 1500 seated auditorium, the Agnes Marie Campbell fellowship hall with stage and production equipment, a state of the art kitchen facility, a tri-level administration building complete with offices and conference rooms, a multi level educational building and a fourth building which currently houses a women’s shelter.
As St. James grew, efforts to expand Christian outreach through various platforms were put in place. As a result, St. James has an extensive media ministry on television, radio and Streaming Faith.com. St. James has been featured on several Christian Television programs, numerous local and national print medias as “one of the leading churches in the Chicago land area”.
For He that is mighty hath done to me great things; and Holy is His name!
On June 14, 2006, the anointed prayer warrior, Mother Agnes Marie (Goodwin) Campbell went from labor to reward. Mother Campbell stood faithful by her husband’s side at the inception of St. James COGIC in 1944 and served faithful until death. St. James Ministries will forever be mindful of the labor of love made by Mother Campbell in her many years of faithful servitude to God and the church.
And now we go forth and take another step in sharing the bread of life to our brothers and sisters. We now go forth with much faith and confidence in God’s love for us. We go with integrity and a strong conviction that the service we render will reach a heart and save a soul. We take another step so that in our prosperity, we will forever remember the training and values we have instilled in the lives of others.
But as we go, we remain humble and meek, leaning on the everlasting arms.So from this day forth, when you think of St. James Ministries Church of God in Christ, or pass by this corner, take a moment and remember from whence we came.